Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Stuck on your VR6 swap? Ask away in here
the punisher
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

New to Mk2 Vr6 Conversions read this first

Postby the punisher » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Thought we could start a post that 'newbies' can read and get a good idea and answer the most common questions that arrise when doing a converison some of the points i am un sure of and have stated so maybe over time these could be filled in with more kowledge...please pin ?

Right here goes the knowledge!

Engine
VR6 engine (2.8ltr from Mk3, passat, sharan, ford galaxy 2.9ltr from corrado all will work)

Transmission
Id recommend VR gear box and VR gear shift... although there is an easy mod to so you can use a MK4 gear shift. gives you a shorter throw...I believe the golf rallye gear box will fit the vr direct swap 4 wheel drive option.

Clutch
use either a hydro clutch or cable to convert a hydro box to a cable box means you should still be able to use the original pedal box... I forget what you need as I didn’t do this mod.. I used the hydro clutch and had to cut a hole in the bulk head for the master cylinder and use the corrado pedal box.

Mounts engine support
Mk3 sub frame Ideally VR6 straight fit, but a mk3 Gti sub frame will fit but I believe you may need to change the engine and gearbox mounts.
Corrado sub frame from VR6 again straight fit.

Corrado vr front cross member can be used utilizing the standard front vr engine mount it’s a straight fit on a Mk2
If you use your original Mk2 cross member you can put a vr6 mount on it but the mount will sit wrong against the engine. But you can then modify the mount to sit correctly...a bit of cut and welding
Mk3 cross member even the VR wont fit don’t go there

Cooling
Ideally the corrado radiator straight fit with either the mk2 or corrado cross member, the mk3 will fit but requires modification

Wheels and brakes
If you want 4 stud hubs and original track you need mk2 drive shafts and wishbones. I believe the wish bones do require modifications. I’m sketchy in this area as I haven’t done it. But it is possible and allows you to keep original rear axel, 4 stud all round.

You can use the entire running gear from a corrado vr this will give you 5 stud wheel pattern all around. But you will end up with a wider wheel base some like it some don’t it makes the car look more aggressive but can limit how much you lower it by as the tiers foul the arches unless you mod the arches. I used the corrado rear axel to give me 5 stud at the back corrado axel is straight swap for mk2 axel ...you might be able to just change over the hubs and disk I didn’t explore this option at the time. I know you can use the MK3 stuff to give 5 stud pattern up front but am unsure if the mk3 axel is a straight swap.

Electrics
try and get the engine loom, ecu etc etc from the same donor car... you can splice the mk3 and corrado loom with the mk2 interior loom and fuse box but only after a certain year... again I’m unsure which year onwards this is possible with.

Joel

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to Mk2 Vr6 Conversions read this first

Postby admin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:45 pm

nice joel :up:

flippinvws

Postby flippinvws » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm

passat front crossmember works with some lite modding.
passat radiator is then used very nicely, as the little pegs on the bottom, fit nice into the peg holes on the crossmember.

as for the 4 lug info......im in the process of an intense job now and should be very 4lug vs 5 lug savy as well as axle info when finished....

crazy_power720

Postby crazy_power720 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:00 pm

some body had mentioned to me that i had to change my fuel pump.... to a 16v fuel pump is this true?

crazy_power720

Postby crazy_power720 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:01 pm

i used the 4-lug setup all i did was get axles from a 92 gli (big cup) and thats it

wolfsburgvr6
CantCornerKid
CantCornerKid

Postby wolfsburgvr6 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:49 pm

crazy_power720 wrote:some body had mentioned to me that i had to change my fuel pump.... to a 16v fuel pump is this true?

if your donor car was a lesser car then a gti i think u need to upgrade to at least a mk2 gti fuel pump, or use the mk3 pump

boyracer57aff

Postby boyracer57aff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:48 pm

Does the VR6 conversion require any chassis strengthening. The vehicle the conversion is taking place in is a 1990 mk2 golf 1.3 Gl 5 door. Complete with maroon paint for a complete sleeper appeal. :-D

D16vGTi
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord

Postby D16vGTi » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:59 pm

No it'll be fine, although handling wise I'm sure it would benefit from a couple of well placed strut braces! :up:

boyracer57aff

Postby boyracer57aff » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:32 pm

thanks for the advice with the strut braces my mums b.f is a steel fabricator so im gonna be abusing him to get my car tip top lol......also can i use a complete mk3 front suspension setup on the front if so what are the side effects? can i use a mk3 rear beam if so what are the side effects? what is the most common swap can u use for example mk2 wishbones struts hubs etc in conjunction with mk3 shafts and subframe etc?? any help would be greatly appreiciated. thanks :-D

boyracer57aff

Postby boyracer57aff » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:36 pm

Also what brakes would you recommend as id like to keep my wheels to 15" diameter. Ive been told mk4 brakes from say a GT TDI 150 can be very effective what do you think? obviously the car would have to be 5 stud to begin with.....again any help would be greatly appreiciated. thanks
:-D

Monkey
Legend
Legend

Postby Monkey » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:30 pm

Well seeing that the original mk3 vr6 uses 280mm brakes that you can get 15" wheels over, I'd go for them, especially if you're keeping the 5 stud setup, if you want to go for 4 stud, the g60 brakes are the same size.

I've got 180mm brakes on my Corrado and with crossdrilled discs, fast road pads and decent brake fluid, they're very effective. :-D

zemelapis

Postby zemelapis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:28 pm

Can i use golf mk3 control arms, steering knuckles, tie rods and driveshafts on Mk2? I'm able to buy Golf mk3 VR6 quite cheap, so could i use this suspension on my Golf mk2, or it'll be too wide?

Return to “Conversion help”