HOW TO WIRE YOUR MK2 VR6 READ FIRST

got stuck on your VR6 conversion? this is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Stuck on your VR6 swap? Ask away in here
rondekker1983

Re: HOW TO WIRE YOUR MK2 VR6 READ FIRST

Postby rondekker1983 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey guys i found it. I was checking the looms in the donor car and i found the female connector and it's part of the central door lock loom. So i can cut it of because i dont need it. Thanks for helping :up:

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 am

I recently purchased a 1991 Golf with the vr6 swap. The old harness was spliced to heck. So I am looking to get a new harness and do it right.

The ECU I have is a Bosch 0 261 203 026 021 906 258 J
It has a EIP chip in it, I was told that the cams may have been upgraded in the engine as well, but I haven't check yet.

I am looking to keep it OBD1.

I am basically wondering what year/model vw vr6 car I should get the new wiring harness out of.

Sorry if this has been asked many times before. This thread just didn't seem to have that info in the first post.

Thanks Anthony

cespo500
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Postby cespo500 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:02 pm

does you current motor have a 4 pin maf?
Mk2vr6.com like us on Facebook.

vdubb16

Postby vdubb16 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Well I've been looking forward to making this post for quite some time, at the same time I was hoping I wouldn't ever have to, but here what I got.

95 obd1 gti vr6, swapped in an entire obd2 swap from a 97 gti. Car runs and drives. Ive yet to put the dash back in as I weed out any problems.

What doesn't work:
Front wiper blades "rear wiper works"
Reverse Lights
OBD2 port "currently still has the obd1 port in the car"
Power windows "windows roll up and down as they should when I put the key in the door and turn, only the buttons on the doors don't work"

I ran into problems at first getting it to turn over, ended up pulling the fuse block 3 times to try to make sure I didn't miss anything. So my first attempt plugging everything in and having a clean organized panel, turned into the usual rats nest. Ended up needing to plug a fuse into the green 2 wire plug to get the starter to actuate. Thanks to this thread I figured that out. Heres what I have left over.

There's two of these red/white plug connecter things, haven't found a a place for the second one to plug into.

I'm sure theres gotta be something that doesn't work due to this one not being plugged in

No idea what this is

Is there anything else that gets plugged into here. What is this distribution block referred to officially. "couldn't find anything about it on the googlez"

Picture of the obd port just as a reference. "1995"

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 am

cespo500 wrote:does you current motor have a 4 pin maf?

5 pin, where the fifth is a ground I believe.

I got a 1993+ VR6 12v obd1 distributor manual trans harness from a guy on vwvortex

I had the motor briefly start the first time I cranked it over, but has been reluctant since.

With the ignition key turned to on: relay #3 (109) turns on, and I can hear the fuel pump prime for a second, I think there is one other relay (fuel pump probably) that turns on

With the ignition key turned to start: The engine cranks over, there is spark coming from the ignition coil (not coil pack, b/c it's a distributor model), I can hear the fuel pump run constantly.

But does not even give a hint of wanting to start, the car sat over the winter before I bought it. Do you think the injectors could be plugged up with some crap from the old gas?

Any help is welcomed.

P.S. I was going to verify the power going in and out of the ecu as well as the grounds today, but it wouldn't stop snowing then raining. Stupid MN weather.

rondekker1983

Postby rondekker1983 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Anyone know's what plug this is? It came from the engine loom (passat 92) I think i was forget to label it :oops:

Grtzz

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Sat May 04, 2013 7:26 pm

I believe that violet/white wire is for the VR6 Cluster, the MPG Signal from the ECU to be more specific. That's how mine hooked up, just look at you cluster harness for another violet/white wire with a single connector on it.

Check this link:

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2cluster.html

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I tested a few things today and have found no pulse at the injectors, I removed the rail and injectors and let it hang near the radiator while a friend cranked over the engine, I do have fuel pressure though (it popped one of the injectors off the rail) I tested this injector with a 12v battery and it clicked and dripped fuel, so I don't think the injectors are clogged.

What is my issue? :mad:

I checked and the engine rpm sensor near the front knock sensor is connected correctly to the ecu.

What sensor tells the ECU when to pulse the injectors?

Please Help me out Cespo

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Sun May 05, 2013 1:50 am

Mine is running finally.

What I did was use a 12v battery to test each other the injectors, may have unstuck them.

Also I reinstalled the mod chip that was in the ecu when I got it. I will try removing the chip again to see if that was my culprit.

Good luck to others.

rondekker1983

Postby rondekker1983 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:13 am

KramersKarts wrote:I believe that violet/white wire is for the VR6 Cluster, the MPG Signal from the ECU to be more specific. That's how mine hooked up, just look at you cluster harness for another violet/white wire with a single connector on it.

Check this link:

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2cluster.html

My cluster loom has no indivuduel violet/white wire. It is coming from a passat vr6 whit mfa :?

KramersKarts

Postby KramersKarts » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 am

My cluster loom has no indivuduel violet/white wire. It is coming from a passat vr6 whit mfa :?

Thats odd, I believe my cluster is from a passat as well. And mine does have mfa too.

rondekker1983

Postby rondekker1983 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 am

Do you have a vacuüm hose from your intake to your clocks? I have, maybe is that the reason i haven't the Connector.

Return to “Conversion help”