have done it now too late to turn back

Reference section containing guides and write-ups on the different aspects of the conversion process

Moderator: Moderators

8vgtimk2

have done it now too late to turn back

Postby 8vgtimk2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I have a mk2 8v gti that i am converting to vr6 power but need a little advice and help please. This is the first time i have ever done a conversion or even taken an engine out of a car to put you guys in the picture. All i have done in the past is service my own car and change brakes so something like this is major for me. What gave me the motivation to do the conversion was this site (thanks) :clap: . I managed to get a corrado vr6 by luck as a doner car from e-bay (put a bid in thinking someone else would put in a higher bid) :shock: . Travelled over hundreds of miles to get the car and trailer it back. Everything needed is now out of the donor car inc a few xtras. before purchasing the donor car it did start fine and sounded ok but the last time i decided to turn it on, before i took the engine out it made a weird noise and died. it would turn over and start but go off again. I decided to strip the engine :whistle: while it was out so i could give it a good clean and inspect it further. I have got to the stage where the head is off and bare. just need to take gearbox and sump off.
I would like to get the head ported and polished but would like to know if it is worth doing anything to the block of if anything needs doing. bearing in mind that i did not know the correct milage of the engine was what made me take the head off.

I loved the way the 8v moter drives with torque and would like some advice of how to build this engine up. Down the line I may supercharge the engine so was wondering if i got it prepared by fitting a metal gasket while everything is out to lower compression would it effect it running n/a or just tune it n/a as i do love n/a motors.

I just need pointing in the right direction really or maybe for you to throw a few paths down so i could decide which to take. All in all now i have started and it is too late to turn back now so please help me.
Last edited by 8vgtimk2 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8vgtimk2

Re: have done it now too late to turn back

Postby 8vgtimk2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm

this is my first post so apologise if it is in the wrong section

Commander W.T. Riker

Postby Commander W.T. Riker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 pm

it really depends on how in-depth and hardcore you wanna get with it.
it is a good idea to have the head cleaned and checked by a shop. a port and polish never hurts. you could also have them do any of the following: replace valve seats, replace valve guides, 3/5 angle valve job, gasket matching...if you really wanted to get crazy you could have them build it into a big valve head, but that is big money.
100% - do these things
1) replace timing chains and guides
2) replace all the plastic passages for coolant (thermostat housing/crackpipe primarily)
3) replace waterpump (not too expensive but a PITA if its in the car
4) get new motor mounts
5) mk4 metal headgasket (will be good for another .5 on the compression ratio, but if you're going FI immediately you'll want a head spacer to lower compression)

I could go on and on about stuff you could do, different ways of going...but really you are going to have to decide what direction to go in.

8vgtimk2

Postby 8vgtimk2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Ok i have decided that i will keep it n/a for the moment unless i win the lottery or something lol . I am with you regarding the head until you talk about 3/5 angle valve job and gasket matching? I have read that the lightweight exhaust valves are worth fitting as there is a high failure rate with OE valves in older engines...is this true, if so where can i get some? I am not going to go crazy I just want to have a decent engine in there without having to worry about it. This is why I am stripping it so I can sort out the common faults and slightly upgrade it.

I will be replacing the timing chains and guides. I will have a look to see where all the plastic passages are and replace the crackpipe. Water pump and oil pump will be getting replaced. With regards to the engine mounts, I have taken the subframe and crossmember from the corrado to use on the mk2 so will OE items be ok? If I am keeping it n/a i would not need to lower compression as n/a engines run better with high compression if i am correct.

Thanks for the comments...got me thinking :up:
Commander W.T. Riker wrote:it really depends on how in-depth and hardcore you wanna get with it.
it is a good idea to have the head cleaned and checked by a shop. a port and polish never hurts. you could also have them do any of the following: replace valve seats, replace valve guides, 3/5 angle valve job, gasket matching...if you really wanted to get crazy you could have them build it into a big valve head, but that is big money.
100% - do these things
1) replace timing chains and guides
2) replace all the plastic passages for coolant (thermostat housing/crackpipe primarily)
3) replace waterpump (not too expensive but a PITA if its in the car
4) get new motor mounts
5) mk4 metal headgasket (will be good for another .5 on the compression ratio, but if you're going FI immediately you'll want a head spacer to lower compression)

I could go on and on about stuff you could do, different ways of going...but really you are going to have to decide what direction to go in.

8vgtimk2

Postby 8vgtimk2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 pm

bump

8vgtimk2

Postby 8vgtimk2 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 pm

bump bump

Return to “How-To's & FAQs”