Mars Red VR6

go on then...show off!

Moderator: Moderators

Dangerbus

Mars Red VR6

Postby Dangerbus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Well after looking around for a decent Mk2 to be a basis for my VR6 install I found this little beasty going cheap, it's not what I originally wanted but hey, it has an VR6 installed and running so I have something to play with and I can use my Mk3 VR6 donor for another project...

The pics below are not the best but I'm eager to find out more about the car, I know little about it and I would really like to talk to the guy that orginally did the install...

DSCN0001 by Dangerbus, on Flickr

DSCN0008 by Dangerbus, on Flickr

One problem I have is that the bonnet is catching the engine cover and front corner of the plastic cover (see photo) is damaged as a result. The engine has a vibra-technics front mount but I am unsure what the other mounts are from.

Also the car has not been wide tracked, I assume that this means it is still running the Mk2 suspension /hubs etc, I have the Mk3 VR6 parts available, what are the pros and cons of doing the swap?

Any help gratefully received, thanks for looking...

:)

vdub_1985
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi

Re: Mars Red VR6

Postby vdub_1985 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Welcome mate I see a lot a mk2vr6s rubbing there if they have used that front mount best thing to do first is jack the engine up and remove the o/s rear engine mount and make sure it's been cut down by 15mm that would give you alittle more clearance, it's not a car I have ever seen on here but maybe others have :up:

Dangerbus

Postby Dangerbus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Vdub-1985,

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. Good call on the engine mount mod, I will check it out asap.

Cheers :-D

dubluv19

Postby dubluv19 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 pm

the mk3 widetrack option is all good hanling wise but you will encounter arch clearance problems if ur gunna be keepin it low... also camber needs to be sorted if ur goin widetrack otherwise ull scrub threw front tyres in weeks.... looks good for a project tho bud :D

Return to “Members cars”