Project Phoenix 24v

go on then...show off!

Moderator: Moderators

Tommcc

Project Phoenix 24v

Postby Tommcc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:25 pm

After owning a mk2 gti 8 v for 2 years I decided that I would do an engine conversion on my next car.
Didn't really plan much and a friend had a oak green bare shell for sale so gave him £300 and took it away was lucky that he had intention of bringing it back to its former glory and had it welded and new subframe bushes and a whole host of other new bits
The day I got her
Got the doors and wings as part of the deal but no bonnet or tailgate which was annoying but decided to use parts off my mk2 to get it sorted.
After 3 weeks of it just sitting there I got hold of the glass and seals and started making her water tight (mainly because one day I looked in and found a small pond in the footwell !)
At this point I was still undecided on which engine to fit I was toying with the 20vt so didn't really change anything like subframes etc.
I then painted the bay as previous guy had sorted the rust out but hadn't sprayed any colour
Initially went with black. But then.......
Went bright orange lol not everyone's cup of tea but I like it
After a while I decided I better make a decision on which engine I was fitting so after a trawl through eBay I came across this !
2.8 24v from a 4motion golf. Came with the ecu ,looms manifolds down pipes and cats plus a whole host of other bits and bobs For £265 delivered ! Was ecstatic with this and them went about buying the mk3 subframe corrado cross member and mk3 gearbox
At the same time I was debating on whether I should go big bumper or small bumper eventually decided big bumper as it matches car year so won't offend too many people lol

Whilst I was waiting for the other bits to arrive I decided to tackle the interior I gave the floor pan 3 coats of underseal then starting laying the sound proof felt down , I bought it from eBay in a roll so just cut what I needed was a 1/4 of the price of the precut stuff !

With the carpet in I then tackled getting the heater assembly in I had already replaced the matrix with the updated version was a bit of a pain but eventually went in and got it bolted in .

I got some gauges from fleabay for a small amount and was thinking of where I should put them then had an idea !
Took a while to get it set properly as it was a bit all over the place.

Got rest of bits for running gear and got to work got the mk3 shifter and cables in luckily the one I bought came from a mk2 conversion so fitting was a straight bolt in affair .

Next up was subframe that was a bit of a pain it was November and cold and with no garage I was forced to do all the work out doors on my drive !
Got it in though and then bolted up the corrado cross member that was a right pain as It was bent slightly out of shape got it in though and then called it a night lol
Brakes were next on my hit list and the 16v 256mm just weren't going to cut it so back on eBay and found a set of g60 brakes and a set of braided lines for a 16v and was all good
Scrubbed the calipers and then painted orange to match the bay
Thankfully my alloys (dymag) fitted over the brakes with no problems lol
Got the braided lines and set to work running the hard lines and the braided also fitted a new 22mm m/c so should have plenty if stopping power !

Was looking at modifying the original downpipes bit after a few days of looking around I figured it was better just to buy a proper conversion one , so an email to dubpower confirmed what I needed I then handed over the cash and it was delivered within a couple of days also bought the decat pipe with flexi
Seriously sexy piece of metal ! Lol
Decided I better give engine a freshen up so took the inlet off and gave it a coat of satin black I then took rocker cover off
Was pleasantly surprised by just how clean everything was swing as I bought engine with unknown mileage bud looking at this I would if thought it was low so rocker cover was given a quick clean and a sanding then a coat of orange
After a week of not doing anything I got round to actually fitting engine so removed it from stand then bolted up the new vr flywheel and fitted new clutch and got gearbox on whilst it was out I also fitted the cable clutch mechanism
The keen eyed among you will notice the mk4 engine mount is still attached. There is a reason for this ... I didn't realise I needed a mk3 vr6 mount so it had to prop itself up whilst I located one lol
All finished and bolted in and drive shafts connected even found time to fit a strut brace !
And a few pics if how she sat before a few other mods were done

sam2dads
Dubber
Dubber

Re: Project Phoenix 24v

Postby sam2dads » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Keep up the good work looking very good :-D

Tommcc

Postby Tommcc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Cheers dude I currently trying to sort out the wiring as I having a total nightmare with it lol

EUROCHRIS
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EUROCHRIS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Looks blooming gorgeous mate FairPlay!!! Ill be watching this one keep up the epic build

Richforlove
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Postby Richforlove » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 pm

How can you make it that far in without realising you need to stick a mk3 mount on ? lol

Tommcc

Postby Tommcc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 am

Haha ! It's my first ever conversion and so far have found almost no information regarding the swap all I seem to find was its basically the same as a normal vr6
Found one though and got it bolted up am currently just saving up a bit of cash to get the engine loom and ecu done
Currently I am just going round her and doing bits that won't cost me anything lol

vdub_1985
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi

Postby vdub_1985 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Does look nice mate if your looking for little things to do the best tip is to drop the fuel tank down and clean all around the top of the filler neck area you will get some much mud out from up there its unbelievable if your thinking of keeping it to slow the rust down.

Tommcc

Postby Tommcc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Yeah I have redone the whole under Neath took everything off had the welding done then its had 6 costs of underseal Lol
My last jobs on her are the lights wiring as a few aren't working , getting a set of mk2 clocks to work as the mk3 ones I had seen to just make a clicking noise and don't do anything ( think they dead )
Then it's engine wiring

Rosco-16V
Dubber
Dubber

Postby Rosco-16V » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 pm

That's some top notch work going on! I do love that colour scheme :up: I've still gotta sort the electrics out in mine. Gotta say I'm dreading it! Good luck bud!

Tommcc

Postby Tommcc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Cheers dude yeah I not looking forward to wiring lol I hate it hopefully by end of April it will be finished and I can start driving her

Rosco-16V
Dubber
Dubber

Postby Rosco-16V » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 am

Are you in the worcester area? Was flicking through Facebook & I'm sure I saw your car in the D2Dubs post?

vdub_1985
Forum Jedi
Forum Jedi

Postby vdub_1985 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 am

I was kind of on the d2 dubs stand at ud plus think they come to alot of my local clubs alldubs meets :up:

Return to “Members cars”